Why Some Shear Walls Fail
- Improper soleplate anchorage.
- Improper mailing of shear element (i.e. plywood, gypsum board, stucco).
- Tearing of shear element.
- Missing/inadequate top plate straps.
- Insufficient top plate splice.
- Undersized top plate.
- Cracked finishes.
- Water intrusion.
- Ruptured plumbing and gas lines.
- Partial or total collapse of framing.
Information provided by Building Analysts, a full-service architectural and engineering firm with many years of experience in construction litigation. Their services include: architectural and structural investigations, repair recommendations, preparation of exhibits and expert testimony. Contact Building Analysts Toll Free at: (800) 352-1497.